The second annual Fishing for a Cause tournament will be held at Parkway Marina, Smith Mountain Lake on Sunday May 5. The event is sponsored by Appalachian Power and Dollar Energy in partnership with Conrad Marine and Basscast SML. It runs from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. (of course, teams will be on the lake in the times between.) The participant start is at 7 a.m. Last year, the event raised more than $20,000 for needy Virginia customers needing assistance with establishing or keeping their utility service. Dollar Energy is a national 501 (c) 3 organization that raises funds for this purpose on behalf of Appalachian.
Dollar Energy Fund Info:
· Dollar Energy Fund is a 501 (c) 3 organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life for households experiencing hardships by providing utility assistance and other services that lead to self-sufficiency. For more than 35 years, we’ve served the limited-income community by providing $148,000,000 in utility assistance grants to more than 539,000 limited-income families and individuals
· 12 States Served
· 41 Utility Partners
· 24,737 Grants Provided During the 2017-2018 Program Year
· 514,980 Grants Provided Throughout Our Organization’s History
· $142,000,000 in Grants Distributed Since 1983
· 73 percent of our Grant Recipients Have A Female Head Of Household
· One out of every four households we assist is completely without utility service before receiving a grant
· 100 percent of the proceeds from the event go directly to help local neighbors in need
VIRGINIA Specific Info:
· $456,000 was granted to more than 1,950 families in Virginia during the 2017-2018 program year
· The average grant amount is $232
· One out of every five households we assist is completely without utility service before receiving a grant
· More than half of the households supported have children under the age of 18
· 16 percent of households that receive a grant have seniors (62 years old or older)
· 70 percent of grant recipients have a female head of household
· Over 70 percent of grant recipients are either currently employed or receiving retirement or disability benefits
· The average monthly income per household is $893.17
Anyone with questions can call John Shepelwich at 540-985-2968 or 540-613-7460 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are also other events this weekend at Smith Mountain including the Business EXPO Friday at the YMCA at Lake Watch and the spectacular Appalachian Power Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon (Swim/Bike/Run) Saturday morning beginning at 9 a.m. at the State Park.